• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Don't ban players for small crimes, fine them.

Y

ytiggidmas

That's right instead of taking somebody completely out of the game admins should fine them specifically if the crime just doesn't seem suitable for a ban. For example: Let's say somebody griefed a couple blocks and a lift sign. Instead of banning them for three days you could fine them let's say 500c-2000c.
Additionally we could use the 'fining' system for other things too.I believe staff fine if a bounty is claimed between two townies or staged already, so why not use this system for other things too? Banning should be taken much more seriously as:
1.Delays time for becoming a veteran/elite member
2.Completely takes somebody out of the game until un-banned
3.Puts players who use residences/spawn plots/even towns on rare occasions of losing everything they have worked for.
4.Publicly humiliates the person
What I'm trying to say is there's plenty of more options then just banning a player especially when it's unnecessary. A lot of people care about this server, and being banned for silly reasons can cause valuable and important players to leave the server.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
Of course, for some rich people, they might choose to do this constantly, only having to worry about a small fine.
It shouldn't be a set price, the fee should vary between, both how serious the offence is and the wealth of a player.

Archmage_Lloyd

Soulsand
Well, I think that this is fair, as long as Admins take away 25% of the users money, not a set amount. See, when players aim to do multiple crimes they would be easily able to pay off the systems set requirements, however an admin has the right to take away your money if it is under a fair condition IE punishment.... or in general they are allowed because, they are admins.
The point here simply is, there should be other ways of punishing people that don't involve bans. I have no comment about the above system other than the one I just presented. keep this in mind while thinking of more creative and better punishments

-->Here is an idea for one

Instead of actually Banning or Fining the player,
They are teleported into a caged area thats like 1x1 area, and have them literally hang out from the many sides of Bastion keep towers
They have to be online to serve their time, and all their rights get diminished (as in, no chatting in any chat other than local, can't use skills, cant break blocks etc.)

First offense - Waring
Second offence - 6 hours online, not afk, in a cage, while people laugh and point at you.
Third -12 hours
ETC

Y

ytiggidmas

I don't think this is a good idea
small crimes, and for small ones only. There could be a system something along the lines of 1st warning <insert set fine here> 2nd warning <insert extremely larger fine> 3rd warning <ban the person>. But everything is really situational, and punishments should be handled so.

Zneak

Stone
I like the idea, but people would totally do it and send money to their friends :3

DefaultTexture

Legacy Supporter 4
Well, I think that this is fair, as long as Admins take away 25% of the users money, not a set amount. See, when players aim to do multiple crimes they would be easily able to pay off the systems set requirements, however an admin has the right to take away your money if it is under a fair condition IE punishment.... or in general they are allowed because, they are admins.
The point here simply is, there should be other ways of punishing people that don't involve bans. I have no comment about the above system other than the one I just presented. keep this in mind while thinking of more creative and better punishments

As nice and funny as this idea sounds, it would take up a player slot for a long time, and is really no different than a ban except the player takes up a slot.

-->Here is an idea for one

Instead of actually Banning or Fining the player,
They are teleported into a caged area thats like 1x1 area, and have them literally hang out from the many sides of Bastion keep towers
They have to be online to serve their time, and all their rights get diminished (as in, no chatting in any chat other than local, can't use skills, cant break blocks etc.)

First offense - Waring
Second offence - 6 hours online, not afk, in a cage, while people laugh and point at you.
Third -12 hours
ETC

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
I'm pretty sure they go through the logs and track the movement of money.
Pretty sure they don't based on some previous experiences. Also it doesn't matter, I could just stay at an absurdly low amount of money forever because money is entirely unnecessary for anyone who wants to stay a specific class. Also if they do track the money, how do they know I wasn't making a trade with said player?

This idea does not work for many reasons. If you make it a set amount then the wealthy will not be as afraid of things like this. If you make it a scaling set amount then the previous thing still exists though to a slightly lesser degree. If you make it a percent then the extremely poor don't give a fuck. Actually, if you make it anything then the extremely poor don't give a fuck. Money cannot be tracked this way without significant staff time and effort, and judging from what I've seen, they don't want to put in said effort on things that can be simpler and easier by just not changing the way things are.

Archmage_Lloyd

Soulsand
Pretty sure they don't based on some previous experiences. Also it doesn't matter, I could just stay at an absurdly low amount of money forever because money is entirely unnecessary for anyone who wants to stay a specific class. Also if they do track the money, how do they know I wasn't making a trade with said player?

This idea does not work for many reasons.... snip
That's why we cage em up, hang em out of a large tower with only local chat, and watch as they hang, and point, and re-texture snowballs to be tomatoes and throw them at the criminals.

macura

Diamond
That's why we cage em up, hang em out of a large tower with only local chat, and watch as they hang, and point, and re-texture snowballs to be tomatoes and throw them at the criminals.
Maybe set a required amount of player detectors off also, so that they can't just afk.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I can see several flaws with this. Players abusing this by passing their money to friends before they commit these acts to avoid losing coin and effectively getting away with their crime.

What lesson is learned if they can avoid the loss through this?

Besides we do not ban for one instance of minor griefing, however if a user repeatedly does this, action will be taken against them.
I'm pretty sure they go through the logs and track the movement of money.
We can but this isn't something simple to go through unlike block logs etc. I'd need access to the back end SQL database which I do not currently have.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
So a player with either a lot of money or no money would just be allowed to constantly break rules without any punishment, as the money fine wouldnt matter them at all? Honestly, if a person cant spend enough of their time to read the rules, they shouldnt complain if they get banned.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
So a player with either a lot of money or no money would just be allowed to constantly break rules without any punishment, as the money fine wouldnt matter them at all? Honestly, if a person cant spend enough of their time to read the rules, they shouldnt complain if they get banned.

Have you read the thread? You get 2 warnings/fines first and then a ban.
Also, this is for small crimes that normally wouldn't ban someone/ban someone for less than a week.