• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Disable Mobs Spawning under y=60

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
So basically I had an idea in another topic about this and so I wanted to make this an actual thread.

I would like to have the coders code a plugin that disables/prevents hostile mobs from spawning under ground level. This would reduce the lag on the server, stop mob grinding abuse, stop darkrooms, stop people Qing about levelling, stop those pesky creepers from killing news miners, and generally benefit the server in everything. We would have to make it hostile mobs only because of sheep farms and shit.

What do you guys think about this idea? Give your feedback below, or like/dislike this post. Cheers.

Ned_Lud

Wood
I support this idea. I played on a role-playing server for roughly a year and a half which maintained 100+ players at any given time and similar changes were made effectively. Mobs were prevented from spawning underground and there was a noticeable reduction in lag. There would likely be an increase in surface spawns, but this could be tweaked to balance. Slimes would need to remain "on" at all depths, obviously. Pretty sure the concept is doable though.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Aww. I had been wanting to post this for a while but I was too lazy.

Yes, this would solve a lot of problems.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
As a Minecraft RPG, Herocraft should not disable all mobs under ground. The game experience benefits from sudden creepers while mining, spider spawners of doom in mineshafts, and zombie packs roaming tunnels. These experiences are part of playing in the minecraft and herocraft world.

If people are really trying to do this, turn skeletons off underground, and see where that leaves us in latency. Skeleton arrows do not function well underground, often failing to bother the player much at all.

I do not support this threads original post.

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
As a Minecraft RPG, Herocraft should not disable all mobs under ground. The game experience benefits from sudden creepers while mining, spider spawners of doom in mineshafts, and zombie packs roaming tunnels. These experiences are part of playing in the minecraft and herocraft world.

If people are really trying to do this, turn skeletons off underground, and see where that leaves us in latency. Skeleton arrows do not function well underground, often failing to bother the player much at all.

I do not support this threads original post.
Those experiences are vanilla minecraft. We...are...HEROCRAFT! People shouldn't even be fighting mobs underground since darkrooms and such are not allowed.

However, I do agree with your second post. See if we can disable a common type of mob (eg. skeletons) only and see how that goes as a test, then either disable the rest, keep it the same, or revert to normal.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Agreed, I think that a common mob should be removed from underground before we disable them all. What would happen to cave spiders?

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Those experiences are vanilla minecraft. We...are...HEROCRAFT! People shouldn't even be fighting mobs underground since darkrooms and such are not allowed.

I honestly believe that if we turn mobs (especially creepers) OFF underground, we will need to remove the Hardcore tag from our advertising. We already have gone so far from the hardcore path. Theres nothing hardcore about being safe in over 1/2 of the block space that people play in (albeit the 1/2 that they are in less often).

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
So basically I had an idea in another topic about this and so I wanted to make this an actual thread.

I would like to have the coders code a plugin that disables/prevents hostile mobs from spawning under ground level. This would reduce the lag on the server, stop mob grinding abuse, stop darkrooms, stop people Qing about levelling, stop those pesky creepers from killing news miners, and generally benefit the server in everything. We would have to make it hostile mobs only because of sheep farms and shit.

What do you guys think about this idea? Give your feedback below, or like/dislike this post. Cheers.

• How would this stop darkrooms? You do realize people make them above ground correct?
  • I agree with Dsa's comment about mining. That is part of the RPG experience, being somewhere, minding your own business and "BOOM" creeper blows your head off.
  • People want the mobs handed to them, as opposed to going out and searching, stop being lazy!

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
  • How would this stop darkrooms? You do realize people make them above ground correct?
  • I agree with Dsa's comment about mining. That is part of the RPG experience, being somewhere, minding your own business and "BOOM" creeper blows your head off.
  • People want the mobs handed to them, as opposed to going out and searching, stop being lazy!

1. I agree with this, i've seen them above y60.
  2. I agree creepers need to remain able to spawn under y60, I was thinking about this last night when I saw this topic.
  3. However I'm at a halfway point with this last statement. While some people might, it can sometimes be hard to find mobs on the surface. The beginning of the map for example, it was nearly impossible to find mobs without digging for them. However, NOW its significantly easier to find mobs, just go to a swamp.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Creepers aren't as common underground as you think. I think it is worth it to stop that part of the Hardcore experience to allow more mobs to spawn. Sometimes in dragon there were so many mobs that I couln't fight them. It is more hardcore to have to run through a forest with tons of monsters than it is to find creepers underground.
EDIT: Most people wouldn't need dark rooms because there would be much more mobs.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I like it, however I think it doesn't go far enough. I was going to suggest this later for if/when we move to Spoutserver, but it seems appropriate to share here:

Mobs and Training areas
The current minecraft mob spawning system works well for singleplayer or low amounts of players, but hardly works for a MMORPG. The system involves spawning randomly near players and based on light levels. Since most easy to reach mobs are killed by either the sun or players, this usually leads to concentrations of mobs in unreachable dark caves and encourages dark rooms or mob grinders.

A solution to this would be replace the system entirely. Along with giving mobs levels of varying difficulty, you would have them spawn only in special areas. You may have a graveyard filled with zombies and skeletons, spider dens, or even farms for animals.

Some areas may also feature mobs of much higher levels, providing more of a challenge and a better place to train for higher level players. This could also serve as points of contention between PvPers or towns

Not mentioned in the context of the quote but very important, these areas wouldn't allow building. This would prevent users destroying the area or building grinders.

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
1. Most darkroom have been underground and disguised as caves and shit. A lot of darkrooms may be above ground, but you guys find those easy. Finding darkrooms underground is very hard to do since people come up with such bullshit excuses.
2. I agree to some extent, which is why we should start off with disabling something like zombies.
3. People aren't supposed to go down into caves and kill them, that's illegal. The only reason to have mobs below level 60 is just to keep the 'hardcore' experience. That's the only reason I have come across so far about keeping the mobs.