• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

XP Gains for ALL Paths & Specs

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
As I have stated in game, there is a nerf applied when you pick a specialization in the path of your choice. I will use myself as an example to better explain...

I chose Caster path to eventually select Enchanter as my specialization. As I leveled via killing mobs and mining, I noticed that skeletons gave 14 xp. When Kainzo introduced the 50% boost to starter paths (when I was around level 35), it jumped to 21 xp. Not bad, but I was leveling primarily off of mining, since mob lag was already sketchy to begin with. (Mob/player lag increases the longer the server has been up without a restart, which includes delays between attacks, movement, and skill activation, such as Fireball.)

Once I hit 50, I selected Enchanter. Now skeletons give 9 xp. This -25% reduction in experience was not expected. I would have assumed that it would have went back down to the normal amount. However, this is as if I am being penalized for choosing a combat class. As mentioned above, the server lag makes leveling quite impossible, especially since I can no longer mine for xp.

I wish it could be more like this:
ALL starter paths: +50% xp in kills and mining
Warrior, Caster, Healer, Rogue: normal xp in kills, -75% xp in mining
Crafter: -75% xp in kills, normal xp in mining

Otherwise, most people will level a path and spec and stick with it, not choosing another. Touting the fact that I can level another class is also useless as those abilities disappear when I switch, not to mention I have to pay 250c for the switch. IMO, this needs a serious revamp.

I want to open this thread for discussion. Please, if you are a Crafter path, don't get carried away. This is mainly aimed at combat paths as we depend on xp through laggy mobs, not block mining.

Figgis

Legacy Supporter 5
I want to open this thread for discussion. Please, if you are a Crafter path, do NOT discuss it here and start another thread. This is for Combat classes only!

How does that help with constructive criticism? All you are doing by saying that is trying to get a bunch of like minded people in one thread where it will look like things are completely out of balance. Whatever.

He changed his thought on it, all good now.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm just keeping it simple, Heroes is a RPG plugin, correct?

Does swinging a pick all day make you a better fighter? - No
Can swinging a pick all day possibly produce a better crafter, who knows more about the materials and understands more about crafting [Theoretically] - Yes

Also, I'd argue combat classes have more 'stellar' gains as they gain combat skills whereas crafter classes gain less ability wise.

Example: Ability to make gates - Mason
Ability to Mitigate all fall damage upon activation for a period of time -Monks

What is the more 'impressive' ability. Yep.

Figgis

Legacy Supporter 5
K, now that this is a /open/ thread. I will state my views on it.

You are right too a degree, non crafter specs get shit on when it comes too mining when it is a plentiful thing. But it still doesn't make it easy. In fact it will still take an insane amount of mining to finish a spec. So why not put crafter at the class that the other classes should be balanced too "exp wise."

It's always good to have something too base other things off. It helps balance things better than if you were to try to balance everything on what you /think/ is best.

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
K, now that this is a /open/ thread. I will state my views on it.

Sorry. I was editing it after I posted, after I reread it and realized how it sounded.

Please keep in mind that no matter what, farming mobs will always be more difficult that whipping up a few pickaxes and going to work in a cave somewhere. While mining really doesn't have much lag, killing mobs when you can only strike them every 2 seconds (not to mention they move slow as molasses) makes leveling completely frustrating. For example, I had a creeper sneak up on me and do his ssssSSSSSSS, five seconds later, nothing. I backed up, and he was still staring at me wondering why he hadn't exploded.

Figgis

Legacy Supporter 5
Sorry. I was editing it after I posted, after I reread it and realized how it sounded.

Please keep in mind that no matter what, farming mobs will always be more difficult that whipping up a few pickaxes and going to work in a cave somewhere. While mining really doesn't have much lag, killing mobs when you can only strike them every 2 seconds (not to mention they move slow as molasses) makes leveling completely frustrating. For example, I had a creeper sneak up on me and do his ssssSSSSSSS, five seconds later, nothing. I backed up, and he was still staring at me wondering why he hadn't exploded.

Yeah, perhaps, I just don't think nerfing crafter exp is the way too go on this. Buff some of the exp on the combat classes maybe, to make it more comparable to the crafters exp rate would be a better solution.

A

Alente1

All specializations have a 25-30% reduction in their experience gain, it's been like that for a couple days.

That's kinda just how it is.

Was implemented at the same time base paths got the boost.

Recknod

Legacy Supporter 2
This is a very good point as of now.
But like it has been said many times "Things are always improving"
Right now combats specs are gimped as far as xp gain goes.

http://herocraftonline.com/forum/index.php?threads/heroes-exp-sheet-wip.2442/
If you look at the xp list for mob killing you will notice that ghasts=50 pigmen=40.
Even with the -25% nerfbat thats ghasts=38 pigmen=30.
I obviously cant run a test on mining:neither farm (since its not available yet) but I would assume over a long enough period of time combat grinding would come out ahead in consistant xp gain.

My advice would be to take time to settle in and get your self a nice bankroll until hellgates become available.
Im sure it is on the list of to-dos

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
Just run with me on this...

Why is there a BONUS to newbies, but a REDUCTION to master specs? What is the point of having a normal mob xp value? It should be a bonus to newbies leveling to master, and then the normal xp for master specs. Quite.

DoubleKiwi

Glowing Redstone
I'm just keeping it simple, Heroes is a RPG plugin, correct?

Does swinging a pick all day make you a better fighter? - No
Can swinging a pick all day possibly produce a better crafter, who knows more about the materials and understands more about crafting [Theoretically] - Yes

Also, I'd argue combat classes have more 'stellar' gains as they gain combat skills whereas crafter classes gain less ability wise.

Example: Ability to make gates - Mason
Ability to Mitigate all fall damage upon activation for a period of time -Monks

What is the more 'impressive' ability. Yep.

If you really want to get technical, swinging a pick all day gives you stronger arms, so you could swing a sword harder. Mining would in fact make you a slightly better warrior. I agree that there should be an xp reduction against combat classes, but they should still have some incentive to mine. Same thing with crafters (they should have incentive to kill things).