• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion In-party no-death duel feature

spiralz

Obsidian
So I was thinking, after I got a couple friends to join the server for the first time, how I may be able to help train them in PvP. Since arena is gone (which I miss), I couldn't think of any other way to teach them proper skill usage, countering, etc. I could try to normally fight them in the wilderness, but if one of us dies during the spar, we'd get called out for boosting or some lame shit like that. Only other way to teach them PvP is to go kill other people, but I find that much less effective than being able to actually assist them and spend time showing them specific things rather than just wailing on the nubs that just run away anyway.

So I came up with this idea: Having a /party duel(or spar) [name] feature that would turn PvP on for the 2 involving players within a party so that they may spar. The trick is, though, that PvP would be turned off when one of the players reaches, lets say, 10hp so that no one dies and they can heal up and spar again. This way no one accidentally dies and both players can instantly heal and go again with the only downside being gear deterioration which is fine. I'd like to be able to better show them the ropes of using their class most effectively, but there is currently no safe way to do it.

Or /arena could be brought back.

If anyone has any better ideas of how to simply *practice* or do a *mock pvp battle*, let me know.

Arcan1x

Soulsand
Easier way to do this, it's how I spar.
-Invite friend to the party
-do /partymode pvp
-Set a percentage to stop at (The health percentage on the right for party members) I usually do 20 percent in case of an accidental hit or a DOT
-Find an area to spar
-Count down in party chat
-Fight

That's how I'd recommend going about it.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
So I was thinking, after I got a couple friends to join the server for the first time, how I may be able to help train them in PvP. Since arena is gone (which I miss), I couldn't think of any other way to teach them proper skill usage, countering, etc. I could try to normally fight them in the wilderness, but if one of us dies during the spar, we'd get called out for boosting or some lame shit like that. Only other way to teach them PvP is to go kill other people, but I find that much less effective than being able to actually assist them and spend time showing them specific things rather than just wailing on the nubs that just run away anyway.

So I came up with this idea: Having a /party duel(or spar) [name] feature that would turn PvP on for the 2 involving players within a party so that they may spar. The trick is, though, that PvP would be turned off when one of the players reaches, lets say, 10hp so that no one dies and they can heal up and spar again. This way no one accidentally dies and both players can instantly heal and go again with the only downside being gear deterioration which is fine. I'd like to be able to better show them the ropes of using their class most effectively, but there is currently no safe way to do it.

If anyone has any better ideas of how to simply *practice* or do a *mock pvp battle*, let me know.
I think this sounds a great idea. Friends often want to pvp and the no-boosting rule can catch new players out.

Or, as you suggest, bring Arena back in recognition of its usefulness for players teaching other players to pvp.

spiralz

Obsidian
Easier way to do this, it's how I spar.
-Invite friend to the party
-do /partymode pvp
-Set a percentage to stop at (The health percentage on the right for party members) I usually do 20 percent in case of an accidental hit or a DOT
-Find an area to spar
-Count down in party chat
-Fight

That's how I'd recommend going about it.

Yeah, that's a good idea and could work with light training, but I think the best training involves each player trying their hardest, which would be difficult to do when having to worry so much about trying to stop at a certain health point.

I think this sounds a great idea. Friends often want to pvp and the no-boosting rule can catch new players out.

Or, as you suggest, bring Arena back in recognition of its usefulness for players teaching other players to pvp.

Thanks :D I'm not sure how plausible it is to actually do something like this, but I think players would find it very beneficial.

I also recall some players saying that Arena would hurt mapwide PvP, but the way I see it now, the number of newer players seems to be becoming a majority of the population (I'm not exactly sure about this, but it seems this way to me) and many of the ones that I've confronted with hostility seem to not even try to fight back. Players need some way to practice fighting without them worrying about losing their gear/pride so that they will have more confidence in their abilities when a fight comes to them.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Players need some way to practice fighting without them worrying about losing their gear/pride so that they will have more confidence in their abilities when a fight comes to them.

The new dungeons are intended as training grounds - but you have hit the point here - tentative new players would rather not lose their hardworn new equipment while they're learning to PvP.

And there's no substitute for learning from other players, which gives people a sense of connection with the server much more effectively, ie they're more inclined to stick around.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Yeah, that's a good idea and could work with light training, but I think the best training involves each player trying their hardest, which would be difficult to do when having to worry so much about trying to stop at a certain health point.

Thanks :D I'm not sure how plausible it is to actually do something like this, but I think players would find it very beneficial.

I also recall some players saying that Arena would hurt mapwide PvP, but the way I see it now, the number of newer players seems to be becoming a majority of the population (I'm not exactly sure about this, but it seems this way to me) and many of the ones that I've confronted with hostility seem to not even try to fight back. Players need some way to practice fighting without them worrying about losing their gear/pride so that they will have more confidence in their abilities when a fight comes to them.
Arena exists, although the overall arenas are not in good condition. They're in /test now, so you can pvp with any class at any time.

I like the idea though, and I agree with it.

Love the idea. I often pvp with my townies to try and make them better and a few times I have ended up killing them. In result, I am usually yelled after for boosting and what not when all I wanted to do was train my town members. I would love to have the old duel system back. I used to spend hours training with others. Others may say well just use test, but then I don't get to test my gear, my levels, or my attributes. The arenas in test should also be cleaned up as they are a mess to pvp in. All the random blocks are almost unnecessary.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

I'll look for a no-death dueling plugin, but it may be too free-flowing and affect PVP places. We'll see what we can do. The arena coming back may be the better bet.