• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

I can't play minecraft at all. (help me please)

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
I updated my OS the other day, (Vista, don't yell at me, i got it for free) and so I was surfing the web fine when all of a sudden my computer just goes blank and restarts. It fails to start up an it goes on to "Windows Start Up Repair". It found a problem but failed to fix it (I have the error written down if it is needed). So now I have to run my laptop in safe mode with networking. Unfortunately, minecraft can't run in safe mode. I do not know what else to do because I was unable to revert my system to an earlier date.

Any help that you guys could give me is much appreciated.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Something might have gone wrong during the update, maybe. Maybe a virus. If vista won't start at all you've got something seriously wrong. If you have an error code please google it, you'll almost certainly get useful information.

Just use system restore to reset your system to a point earlier than the update. I think it's in control panel -> system, somewhere, you may have to look it up. After you do that, make sure your antivirus and anti-spyware programs are up to date, do a full system scan with both of them. Then disable your antivirus/ anti-spyware programs, close everything else down and try the update again.

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
Like i said in the OP, I am unable to use system restore. I think it is the update that caused it because it happened after that and I didn't download anything after updating.

Should I just start over and boot up from a cd with xp on it?

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
If you can't restore that is the best bet. Unless of course you had important information that you can't get back, then I'd say continue looking for the source of the problem and another way to fix it.

If you end up starting over, you should get an external hard drive to regularly back up your information on. I keep everything on my computer on my external and back it up once or twice a week, and it has saved me once already.

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
I don't think i have anything important. Besides, i'll just transfer anything I want onto a flash drive.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Ah, if you can't use system restore you've got mega problems. I second what wolfgang said, format and start over.

After my last hard drive died, I learned the hard way that if your data isn't backed up you WILL lose it, sooner or later.