• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herocraft Texture Pack WIP

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
So I recently remembered a project that @Upb34t and @Galaxial (http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/herocraft-texture-pack-wip-last-update-07-04-2012.16780/) started which I was quite looking forward to and that was a Herocraft texture pack.

Now I know everyone has their preferences on what they like their game to look like and that's why I wanted to focus on graphics that I think should be changed to fit in with the theme of the server. Specifically I'd like to focus on items first; changing the textures of the games blocks is very time consuming and chances are that most people are already happy with their current texture pack. (After items/tools, I think armour would be the most appropriate to edit)
Due to PvP being a very important aspect to Herocraft, I think it would be nice to have weapons that more reflect what they are supposed to be.

Is anybody interested in this? Does it sound like a good idea? Is it worth me putting the time into? Please let me know your thoughts and ideas on this, whether it's a good idea or even what you would like something to look like.

Why should I do this?: I'm currently a student studying Art Foundation at University in London, looking to move into Graphic Design and Communication at degree level. I've always enjoyed playing Minecraft and the ability to change the appearance of it at such ease has interested me for a while. This would be a fun project that also happens to aid me in working on my skills within Design.

Ideas (Work in progress):
Tools/Weapons:

• Swords (Paladin, Ninja, Runeblade)
- General: more style
  • Spades (Dragoon)
- General: Sharper, needs to appear as a digging tool and weapon,
- Gold spade: can mainly appear as weapon due to rare use as digging tool
  • Axes (Berserker, Dreadknight, Pyromancer, Ranger)
- General: needs to appear as a tool and weapon
  • Hoes (Casters, Healers)
- General: more staff-like, needs to appear as a tool and weapon
  • Doors (Paladin)
- General: more shield-like, place doors will not change texture.
  • Shears (Ninja)
- General: more dagger-like, needs to appear as a shearing tool and weapon
  • Bows (Rogues)
- General: Improved design
  • Discs (Bard)
- General: Improved design, will be hard to make too many changes without it not looking functional as a normal disc
  • Jukebox/Noteblock (Bard)
- General: not sure, open to suggestion
  • Fish, Stick, Blaze rod (Disciple)
- General: make fish look more like a weapon, stick seems fine, make blaze rod look more like a weapon

This is very much a work in progress, there is not much interesting content here yet. Any and all suggestions will be very useful in making this the best it can be. I will work to get test designs and images up as soon as possible, in the meantime let me know your thoughts!

Edits:
- Just remembered that animated textures are easier to do now, could work nicely with some items.

Last edited:

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
So I recently remembered a project that @Upb34t and @Galaxial (http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/herocraft-texture-pack-wip-last-update-07-04-2012.16780/) started which I was quite looking forward to and that was a Herocraft texture pack.

Now I know everyone has their preferences on what they like their game to look like and that's why I wanted to focus on graphics that I think should be changed to fit in with the theme of the server. Specifically I'd like to focus on items first; changing the textures of the games blocks is very time consuming and chances are that most people are already happy with their current texture pack. (After items/tools, I think armour would be the most appropriate to edit)
Due to PvP being a very important aspect to Herocraft, I think it would be nice to have weapons that more reflect what they are supposed to be.

Is anybody interested in this? Does it sound like a good idea? Is it worth me putting the time into? Please let me know your thoughts and ideas on this, whether it's a good idea or even what you would like something to look like.

Why should I do this?: I'm currently a student studying Art Foundation at University in London, looking to move into Graphic Design and Communication at degree level. I've always enjoyed playing Minecraft and the ability to change the appearance of it at such ease has interested me for a while. This would be a fun project that also happens to aid me in working on my skills within Design.

Ideas (Work in progress):
Tools/Weapons:

- General: more style
  • Spades (Dragoon)
- General: Sharper, needs to appear as a digging tool and weapon,
- Gold spade: can mainly appear as weapon due to rare use as digging tool
  • Axes (Berserker, Dreadknight, Pyromancer, Ranger)
- General: needs to appear as a tool and weapon
  • Doors (Paladin)
  • Shears (Ninja)
  • Bows (Rogues)
  • Discs (Bard)
- General: Improved design, will be hard to make too many changes without it not looking functional as a normal disc
  • Jukebox/Noteblock (Bard)
- General: not sure, open to suggestion
  • Fish, Stick, Blaze rod (Disciple)
- General: make fish look more like a weapon, stick seems fine, make blaze rod look more like a weapon

This is very much a work in progress, there is not much interesting content here yet. Any and all suggestions will be very useful in making this the best it can be. I will work to get test designs and images up as soon as possible, in the meantime let me know your thoughts!

Edits:
- Just remembered that animated textures are easier to do now, could work nicely with some items.

I just wanted to point out that Architects have been building with default texture pack, so it's a good idea to stick to items first, as it's very hard to make a build look good in two different texture packs

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Yep - do items first those are the most important ones
I just wanted to point out that Architects have been building with default texture pack, so it's a good idea to stick to items first, as it's very hard to make a build look good in two different texture packs
Yes, I thought that items are probably the only thing that really needs tweaking for HC. If people are ever interested in block textures, I can give it a go.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Dragoon spear shape ideas:
C3Uk940.png
MjfftK0.png

Thoughts anyone?
(I will edit colours later, for now it's just the shape I'm playing with)

Last edited:

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
The second one is nice (Wish it was longer :p) The first looks like a halberd.
Thanks, yeah that is as long as it can be at the current image size, I wonder if I can extend it even more... Ah, yeah I was just trying to give it a bit of extra funkiness but I think the second is more straightforward.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Tools/Weapons:
    • I would suggest keeping them each as swords but changing the design as much as possible to make each sword look like it's own type.
Axes (Berserker, Dreadknight, Pyromancer, Ranger)
    • Creating a Hatchet for the weaker models and a single sided battle axe for diamond and a double for Gold would be great.
    • I would suggest going for three wand designs for the wood, iron, diamond hoes but then to go for a Mace design for the Gold which is usually used as a melee weapon.
  • Doors (Paladin)
    • Is it even possible to modify the held door icon without changing the actual door? If so then pull in the bottom edges of the door to make it curve in at the bottom. If not then all you can do is work textures.
  • Shears (Ninja)
    • You can do this without to much hassle I am sure.
  • Bows (Rogues)
    • This is purely tweaking I suppose
  • Discs (Bard)
    • I could see these being pretty cool if changed to various weapons, since they have several types of discs that could be modified. One could be modeled as a Chakram, another could be Katar, and Cestus.
    • I don't think that much would be lost in them not looking like records.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Tools/Weapons:
    • I would suggest keeping them each as swords but changing the design as much as possible to make each sword look like it's own type.
Axes (Berserker, Dreadknight, Pyromancer, Ranger)
    • Creating a Hatchet for the weaker models and a single sided battle axe for diamond and a double for Gold would be great.
    • I would suggest going for three wand designs for the wood, iron, diamond hoes but then to go for a Mace design for the Gold which is usually used as a melee weapon.
  • Doors (Paladin)
    • Is it even possible to modify the held door icon without changing the actual door? If so then pull in the bottom edges of the door to make it curve in at the bottom. If not then all you can do is work textures.
  • Shears (Ninja)
    • You can do this without to much hassle I am sure.
  • Bows (Rogues)
    • This is purely tweaking I suppose
  • Discs (Bard)
    • I could see these being pretty cool if changed to various weapons, since they have several types of discs that could be modified. One could be modeled as a Chakram, another could be Katar, and Cestus.
    • I don't think that much would be lost in them not looking like records.
Eldry, thanks for this! This is just the sort of input I needed, these suggestions sound good and I'll play around with them. As for the door, I think you might be right, that's something I'll have to think about whether it should be changed.

DefaultTexture

Legacy Supporter 4
I can help make some textures as well if needed, just tag me in the next post if you want the help! (Don't want to just but into your work!)

I think it would be a awesome idea to have more intricate designs when it comes to the higher tier items.

Gold - For the gold items I suggest a nice elegant feel to the weapon of choice.

Diamond - Diamond in my eyes should be something that looks deadly.

Iron - A Iron weapon should be basic, yet look sharp and higher quality than the following items.

Stone and Wood - A very bare minimum design here, almost like what a cave person would own.

I would also like to see armor design that suit the sort of class that would wear them. For example.

Gold - Suited for the healer/support type of characters. Elegance, A feeling of radiance.
Diamond - Suited for the tanky/warrior characters. It might look impenetrable.

Chain - Not quite sure what class would suit chain the most. However, I like the fact that it is almost see through so I use it as a wizard. Perhaps for this set, keep the see through factor.

Iron - This armor I believe to be associated with rangers. Protection to durability factor wise. Make it look like it is lighter and more agile perhaps?

Leather - The lightest form of armor is the class that should at no point be in melee range. Make it look... better and i'll be happy :D

Heh, just putting some idea's forward. Sorry if they're poo.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
I think it would be a awesome idea to have more intricate designs when it comes to the higher tier items.

Gold - For the gold items I suggest a nice elegant feel to the weapon of choice.

Diamond - Diamond in my eyes should be something that looks deadly.

Iron - A Iron weapon should be basic, yet look sharp and higher quality than the following items.

Stone and Wood - A very bare minimum design here, almost like what a cave person would own.

I would also like to see armor design that suit the sort of class that would wear them. For example.

Gold - Suited for the healer/support type of characters. Elegance, A feeling of radiance.
Diamond - Suited for the tanky/warrior characters. It might look impenetrable.

Chain - Not quite sure what class would suit chain the most. However, I like the fact that it is almost see through so I use it as a wizard. Perhaps for this set, keep the see through factor.

Iron - This armor I believe to be associated with rangers. Protection to durability factor wise. Make it look like it is lighter and more agile perhaps?

Leather - The lightest form of armor is the class that should at no point be in melee range. Make it look... better and i'll be happy :D
Heh, just putting some idea's forward. Sorry if they're poo.
Thanks for the input! I was working on some armor earlier, turning leather into a more draping robe-like design, I'll post some pics of it when I'm happy with it