• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Gaming laptop, what would you recommend?

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Ok, so I'm thinking something powerful. 8+GB RAM, good quality graphic card and drivers. 15~ inch screen. Hopefully more than 3GHz. My high hat here is so that I can run PS2 well, pretty well.

I've been looking through Alienware, and this is probably what I'm going to try testing and building with. With what I've come up with so far is that estimated price is 1.800$ with my current build(s).

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
This is what I came up with(good/bad for the price?)(Are the specs good, or bad compared to other laptops?)

Mw52B.png

kongrave

Portal
As I'm on my phone atm I can't get too in depth but I highly recommend a desktop as opposed to a laptop for gaming for a plethora of reasons some include pricing, screen refresh rate, simply not as good, isn't as portable as you would think. I'd recommend a cheaper laptop for non gaming if you need portability (will have better battery life and weighs less) and a desktop for gaming.
If you do decide to purchase a laptop message me and I'll help you and give you some tips with managing battery life and overall care for it.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
As I'm on my phone atm I can't get too in depth but I highly recommend a desktop as opposed to a laptop for gaming for a plethora of reasons some include pricing, screen refresh rate, simply not as good, isn't as portable as you would think. I'd recommend a cheaper laptop for non gaming if you need portability (will have better battery life and weighs less) and a desktop for gaming.
If you do decide to purchase a laptop message me and I'll help you and give you some tips with managing battery life and overall care for it.

Kon's absolutely right kevinlive. I have a high end laptop but it's so heavy I leave it at home, permantly fixed to it's desk and charger. It's really not portable. I can only imagine "gaming laptops" are even worse.

I friend of mine spent about $1300 on a PC recently that blows the spec's of that picture you posted above out of the water.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
This is what I came up with(good/bad for the price?)(Are the specs good, or bad compared to other laptops?)

Mw52B.png
A friend of mine spent 1600 on a PC that had almost identical specs aside from a better processor (I think, don't remember its exact specs) and more ram.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
If you want super high definition and all the best possible specs in your games, then a Desktop really is your best friend. Between the heat and component weight, laptops just aren't meant to handle that sort of thing- and with Alienware, no matter how "nice" the specs are for a laptop, you're still paying a brand premium. While it WILL work for you and they are powerful, for that same price you could build a desktop even better, and that desktop will have far more modularity.

If you want to game on a laptop, you don't need anything too high end- My 2 year old Acer (intel i5, Mobility Radeon 547)0 can still handle Farcry 3, Borderlands 2, Deadspace, and the like without any real difficulty so long as I'm realistic with my settings. But, a word of warning, make sure you're plugged in as often as possible, or you will run your battery completely into the ground. Mine's lucky to have half an hour of life on NORMAL use now.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Thing is, yes a desktop will be better, and cheaper, but. Since I move around a lot, and I really don't have the space for a desktop under my gaming table here, I'm going the fappy route. I most likely wont need more than 8GB ram, ever, and the 3.4GHrz processor will suffice nicely.
(and because I go to several LANs a year, having a laptop makes it so much easier for me)

May I comment that my current laptop's cost was around 1.300$. With 3GB ram and an dual core i5. Hitting a 4,7 score.
Looking at that price, and the price of the Alienware makes me laugh.

If you got these uber-powered machines that blows the Alienware sideways, for a much smaller price - don't just drop it out like that, LINK please ಠ_ಠ

(Thanks regardless, rock on \m/)