• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Food Buffs

Jamerance

Wood
This is a suggestion to add buffs to foods. The foods chosen require animal kills or a farmer's summons. This will change the economy and play styles for players. This is no replacement for potions or made to compete with alchemist's wares. Potions can be used during battle while buffs should be placed outside of combat.

These suggested buffs come from the 1.7 version of the wiki. I realize that coding would have to be performed on the food items to add these effects. I am dropping the suggestion now for a future update after the 1.7 patch.

The effects from food are watered down versions of potion or beacon effects with reduced timers.

Combat buffs
Cooked Chicken - Swift 60 seconds
Cooked Pork - Mana Regen Boost 20% 15 seconds
Steak - Health Boost 20% 120 seconds

I have added some simple non combat related buffs to low tier foods to aid Lost Souls in accomplishing more during the intermediate levels.
Non-Combat Aid

Cooked Fish - Jump Boost 60 seconds
Cookie - Haste 120 seconds
Carrot - Night Vision 60 seconds

I choose buffs that would not overpower a player's attack potential. For example, a pursuer can use chicken to close the gap on a fleeing enemy. Swift classes will still get away and there is a chance they will log once they notice the buff, but it is another chance to finish the fight.

Mana regen does not increase the pool of usable mana or the damage from spells, it just lets the caster cast another bolt before they run out of mana.

Night vision would be helpful in spotting mobs and players at a distance. Guards, low level crafters, hunters, and snipers would get a benefit out of easier to acquire night vision.

Ultanian

Portal
Foods already heal outside of battle, and people would have buffs all the time due to the ordinary food items you mentioned. I think that if foods were given buffs, that special enchanted foods were the answer. This idea itself could spark a new class like a chef or cook. Anyways, I think the foods with buffs should be hard to obtain , therefore we won't have infinite buff times.

Jamerance

Wood
Foods in Vanilla did two things, replenished the hunger bar and maintained the hunger bar's status with a saturation value. The food in herocraft does only one thing so there is room for additional effects.

Creating another profession? Not necessary. Here is the problem I saw and the reason why another profession will not fix it.

Farmers currently give meat away (figuratively speaking) due to the value placed in them. Pumpkin pie and bread are currently the two most cost effective foods players are willing to buy. Those that know about zombie flesh do not bother buying any foods since this drop is plentiful and free to those that fight zombie mobs.
Looking at the current pricing for meats verses easy to get vegetables and bread there is no value in meat as a consumable. Only merchants have a demand for meat as a trade item for villagers.

In response to the concern with being buffed all the time - so? I did not foresee any negative effects of the buffs chosen in pve or pvp. If this concern could be expanded on the information would help the developer team decide if this addition is worthwhile.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I was thinking about food giving stats. Very reminiscent of other RPGs. Examples:

Steak: The food of MEN! Gives increases your Strength
Bread: Hearty food to keep you going. Increases your Constitution
Cookies: Sweat little treats that put a spring in your step. Increases your Agility

They could increase stats by a fair amount (2-4)
There could be hybrid foods that increase 2 stats, but by lesser amounts.
Certain foods could increase stats by a larger amount (4-6) but also decrease other stats

You can only have one food buff at a time. Only a certain class (I'm saying farmer) can prepare these foods. A normal apple will be a normal apple, but certain meats/crafted food could be created by a skill. These special "prepared" food would be enchanted and provide the effects.

Last edited:

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I was thinking about food giving stats. Very reminiscent of other RPGs. Examples:

Steak: The food of MEN! Gives increases your Strength
Bread: Hearty food to keep you going. Increases your Constitution
Cookies: Sweat little treats that put a spring in your step. Increases your Agility

They could increase stats by a fair amount (2-4)
There could be hybrid foods that increase 2 stats, but by lesser amounts.
Certain foods could increase stats by a larger amount (4-6) but also decrease other stats

You can only have one food buff at a time. Only a certain class (I'm saying farmer) can prepare these foods. A normal apple will be a normal apple, but certain meats/crafted food could be created by a skill. These special "prepared" food would be enchanted and provide the effects.

I think this would be cool so long as it was farmer that had to prepare it. Farmer sucks atm >>

Zephael_

Legacy Supporter 3
I like this idea. However, I think foods with buffs should only be able to be crafted by farmers, and normal foods should continue to normally heal out of combat.

I'm in favor of status effects over stat increases because those can be used it off combat. For instance, haste and nightvision for mining.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I like this idea. However, I think foods with buffs should only be able to be crafted by farmers, and normal foods should continue to normally heal out of combat.

I'm in favor of status effects over stat increases because those can be used it off combat. For instance, haste and nightvision for mining.
The concept of this special food is that it:
  • Doesn't give you regeneration (Normal food steal heals)
  • Has a cooldown like potions
  • Takes considerably longer to eat (As if you are sitting down and enjoying your food 10-15 seconds)
  • Can't be used in combat
  • Lasts a long time (Since the buffs are weak they would last a decent amount of time 45 min?)

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
So, if these were to be implemented I think that they would need to be special recipes made by farmers. In the past, Kainzo mentioned that smiths would be able to craft the special weapons (not sure if this is still going to be a thing) but I see that working similar for farmers. Farmers would have to gather certain materials to make special foods which supply attribute buffs for a decently long time (30 minutes is what I'm thinking).

This way, the struggling profession would be granted something that would provide a higher need for the class, and make it a lot more desirable. I see the crafting of these foods to be made at a furnace (similar to Alchemist's cauldron).

Just my thoughts on how it would work.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I could see this. For example:

Cake- (Super sweet, but a helluva sugar crash)
+6 Agility
-3 Endurance
30:00 Minutes

Ingredients:
  • Eggs
  • Milk Bucket
  • Sugar
  • Flour
  • Baking Powder (Special Gunpowder)
  • Oil (Special potion/water in a bottle)
Using a special skill, a farmer would make an uncooked cake. Then, the farmer bakes the cake making the finished product.

Last edited:

_Fish_

Legacy Supporter 3
Fish oil is good for the brain. Extra Wis/Int when you eat it a special cooked fish :p
Woh woh no need to make it personal! ;)

Back on topic there, what is the extent of changing the crafting recipe? I was considering adding different ingredients to create different pies for various effects.