• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT [Contest] Best Community Video [Submit by 6/26/13]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KleenX

Iron
Do not use copyrighted music without the permission of the artist. There are no ways to get good royalty-free music. haha jk:)

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
Do not use copyrighted music without the permission of the artist. There are plenty of ways to get royalty-free music.
this needs to like not exist.

Since the videos will be uploaded on the Herocraft Channel we do not want to take risks of getting warnings and even possibly getting the account closed.

Y

ytiggidmas

• Valid submissions need to feature the in-game sound effects. Do not silence them in favor of background music (background music is still ok)
  • Do not use copyrighted music without the permission of the artist. There are plenty of ways to get royalty-free music.
  • These two things really ruin the potential for videos, makes things much more difficult. A lot of pvpers use teamspeak during fights, and from what I understand you cannot silence teamspeak without silencing the minecraft sounds from said clip.( Do you really want to hear the screams, and calls of 15 year olds pvping?!) I think the second portion is somewhat reasonable, but to have sounds in game seems to be a big problem for me.(and most likely others)
I do have a question regarding music, so If I want a certain song to be on my video, I have to contact said person to get permission to use it in my video? How the fuck am I supposed to contact skrillex/zedd/a$ap? Seriously though, please change/remove some of these things and allow us to provide better quality footage for herocraft. Dielan9999 @anystaff

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
  • These two things really ruin the potential for videos, makes things much more difficult. A lot of pvpers use teamspeak during fights, and from what I understand you cannot silence teamspeak without silencing the minecraft sounds from said clip.( Do you really want to hear the screams, and calls of 15 year olds pvping?!) I think the second portion is somewhat reasonable, but to have sounds in game seems to be a big problem for me.(and most likely others)
I do have a question regarding music, so If I want a certain song to be on my video, I have to contact said person to get permission to use it in my video? How the fuck am I supposed to contact skrillex/zedd/a$ap? Seriously though, please change/remove some of these things and allow us to provide better quality footage for herocraft. Dielan9999 @anystaff

Stealing copywritten music is wrong, so that will not change. We've already had videos uploaded to our official youtube page removed due to copyright restrictions.

Also, you can must TS3 without muting the in game sounds. If your group of people you play with isn't really video-capable, then mute them. You can also adjust the sounds on your TS3 without adjusting your system's master volume, if that makes it easier to edit since the game sounds and the TS3 output will be on the same audio track.

Also, this is a competition. I'm sure whoever is worthy of 1st place will figure it out just fine.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
  • Valid submissions need to feature the in-game sound effects. Do not silence them in favor of background music (background music is still ok)
  • Do not use copyrighted music without the permission of the artist. There are plenty of ways to get royalty-free music. Or make your own if you're cool like Zaspar
  • Submissions MUST use either the default texture pack, server textures, or Faithful x32 (because it stays true to the default textures) but default IS preferred
  • Any voice chat captured in the video must be PG-13 language (or censored... which could turn out funnier than if you hadn't bleep'd it out)
I heard about this contest and thought about giving it a shot, and then I read the rules...

I understand the necessity of these (some of them anyways...) but it's unfortunate that they are so restricting. Oh well, guess I'll have to sit this one out. ><

EDIT: A side note about the copyrighted music thing. You know that Youtube already has systems in place for handling this, right? As long as you state within the video that you are using copyrighted music, and DO NOT monetize the video, you are allowed to do so without having the video be removed.

Just sayin'.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I heard about this contest and thought about giving it a shot, and then I read the rules...

I understand the necessity of these (some of them anyways...) but it's unfortunate that they are so restricting. Oh well, guess I'll have to sit this one out. ><

EDIT: A side note about the copyrighted music thing. You know that Youtube already has systems in place for handling this, right? As long as you state within the video that you are using copyrighted music, and DO NOT monetize the video, you are allowed to do so without having the video be removed.

Just sayin'.

Instead of simply disagreeing with the rules and ducking out, could you tell me what exactly you find so wrong about them? They are still subject to change.

As for the music thing, I'll look into it and likely append that to the rules.

HoldMyPie

Legacy Supporter 8
I wanted the herocraft channel to be available to all countries to watch - and with music on the videos, youtube is stupid and makes it not viewable in some countries and even (not so sure, but it seems to happen) restrict the video from mobile devices. Delfofthebla

As there seems to be little to no interest in this contest, I believe we should remove rules and be more free with the content, just because at this point - nobody is actually participating it seems. Dielan9999

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Instead of simply disagreeing with the rules and ducking out, could you tell me what exactly you find so wrong about them? They are still subject to change.

As for the music thing, I'll look into it and likely append that to the rules.
I'm not disagreeing with them, I even stated that I understand why they exist. I am merely stating that they are restrictive enough to make me not wish to participate.

1. The contest states that the goal is to show off Herocraft PvP and the Heroes plugin. I can work with that, but I also had a couple of ideas that didn't revolve around PvP that I might have wanted to explore. These ideas don't really have a theme or purpose, but would mostly have just shown off the world / people who play it. It's unfortunate that the contest is restricted to just that. Especially when the rules directly attack these kinds of videos.

2. No copyrighted music + you must use in-game sound. Music is the basis of many user-generated videos. You called it "stealing" in another post, but I strongly disagree with the use of that term. Hundreds of thousands of Youtube videos use copyrighted music. People like adding music to their videos, and people like listening to the music as well. Any popular video that uses music is a snorefest without it. I would like the ability to add music to my video if I were to submit it.

EDIT:
I wanted the herocraft channel to be available to all countries to watch - and with music on the videos, youtube is stupid and makes it not viewable in some countries and even (not so sure, but it seems to happen) restrict the video from mobile devices. Delfofthebla

As there seems to be little to no interest in this contest, I believe we should remove rules and be more free with the content, just because at this point - nobody is actually participating it seems. Dielan9999
This is understandable reasoning. (but still an unfortunate reality)

3. PG-13 language ruling is inconvenient, especially when combined with the no-music rule. Not all of us are well mannered individuals. My town is very foul mouthed, and almost all footage I've recorded in the past is riddled with swear words and profanities. Now, I'm not saying that you should cater to our foul mouths. We could try and keep it civil for the next few days, or even until the end of time, but it's not so easy to break these habits, and there isn't much time until the contest is over. It's just a bit unfortunate that there is more than just the judge's rulings preventing us from using teamspeak audio in our video.

4. The texture pack restriction is just me. I personally don't like default, faithfuls, or the server texture pack. I liked the previous server texture pack (before the redstone block update) but other than that, I'm pretty picky. Having to play with another texture pack that I don't like is a bit crappy for me.

----------------
I think the music ruling is a bit silly, but an understandable concern. Having the contest winner video get removed from the Herocraft page would be reeeaally shitty. However, even if this rule was somehow removed, the rule that requires the use of in-game sounds is going to nip music in the bud anyways, so the copyrighted music rule is a bit moot.

I understand that Kainzo probably wants to show off in-game sound effects from Hero skills, and that is the reason for the rule, but again, it's an unfortunate situation. This, coupled with the fact that my town's teamspeak behavior is also ruling us out of participating, is why I made my initial post. I'm not attacking the rules directly, but merely venting my frustration with the situation.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5

I'm thinking we might want to refine the rules to be more open and simply not host the winners on our own youtube page. Then we have nothing to worry about in terms of copywright or any of that other youtube BS.

We'll talk about this in the herald forum and extend the video deadline if need be.

EDIT: I think that would make people happier about the contest Delfofthebla

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I'm thinking we might want to refine the rules to be more open and simply not host the winners on our own youtube page. Then we have nothing to worry about in terms of copywright or any of that other youtube BS.

We'll talk about this in the herald forum and extend the video deadline if need be.

EDIT: I think that would make people happier about the contest Delfofthebla
Relaxing on the rules is helpful, but there did seem to be good reasoning behind having them. I don't know if throwing them all out the window just because there are no entries is the best idea. If you guys determine that it is the best decision for the server, then so be it, but don't get rid of them just because a couple of us have ranted about it.

I do think that extending the deadline is a good idea regardless of whether or not the rules are changed. A lot of us would be able to present a much higher quality video if we are given the time to do so.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6

Yeah, if you have copyrighted music in your videos the video is not viewable from mobile devices and it's usually blocked in countries like Germany where internet policy is strict.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Rules updated.

Kainzo can you change my thread title to read at the end: Submit by 6/26/13 ? Perhaps send out a global alert on the forum for the updated rules. Alot of people were waiting for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.