• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Clay is non-existant in new Heroes map

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
Clay is practically non-existent on the new Heroes map. After checking the Minepedia wiki for average spawn rates, I found this line at the bottom...

As of beta 1.6, in newly generated chunks clay blocks are nearly nonexistent. To be specific, clay only generates when the x and z coordinates are the same, severely limiting the amount of clay on the map.

Checking where this source comes from, I found it to be a post on Reddit, which was confirmed by Notch himself (he goes by the handle xNotch there)...

xNotch [MCCreator]: Yeah, that would explain that.. Is it worth doing a 1.6.7 tomorrow?

However, this post was made 6 days ago and we have not received an update. At any rate, the map is already generated. I am a brick-lover among others and was disappointed to find no clay on the map.

I do not think it fair that Alchemists should be the only one to have access to it, who will most likely use price gouging to sell their product. It is just another reason for someone to go Crafter after recent chest shop abuse.

My question: Would it be feasible for a clay chest shop to be made available at spawn to compensate for this loss? As it is a rare item but not as rare as gold, perhaps a rate of 250c/stack (3.9c per block) is fair?

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
how about making alchemists the ones that can make them at level 50, a reason to be an alchemist!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We'll find a solution for this - ultimately I think the Cauldron use will be granted to ALL crafters (making it much easier to obtain) and the Alchemist will dawn new abilities of their own kind to easily Transmute Ore / Blocks

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
I agree. You are 100% correct. Even though I am a crafter I don't want to be limited to only being Alchemist. And also the clay should rise and lower In price with the gold price.

Shenorai

Banned
Well, why not have cauldron use be limited to Alchemists?

For one, it's actually logical according to the class. Leave the chemist work to the chemists.

Secondly, it gives that class more appeal and even give a profitable reason to use that class. Make rare blocks, sell them in a chest shop, ????, profit!

By taking the thing that the Alchemist focuses on and giving it to all of the crafters, what would be the point of having an Alchemist class? You might as well remove the class altogether if you're going to make such suggestions. Instead of taking away from the classes, add more appeeal to them!

In light of this, I would also like to suggest having an Apothecary or an Alchemist Laboratory as a requirement for one of the higher settlement statuses. Maybe slap it on for Capital or Kingdom status.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
I completely agree with Shenorai, alchemist should remain the only class with cauldrons. Also, I thought of a good idea for alchemists.

Since they can transmute items, why not give them the ability to make certain items into OTHER items? Like, your mining. You run out of wood for torches, but you have iron from mining and lots of cobble. Or just cobble, with a time limit to how often you can do it.

Anyway, point, change some items into other items that actually come in handy sometimes. Simple things like dirt and cobble into better things like coal, wood, iron, maybe food? Dunno. But that seems much more alchemisty. Mixture of iron and a piece of gold to make a diamond, and so on.

Some would be special cauldron recipes, and some would be actual skill, like the ones to make coal or wood would need to be a skill so it's actually useful.

TrinityDown

Legacy Supporter 6
Agreed with Shenorai and Wolfgang. As much as I love having my fellow crafter going mason or smithy being able to use couldrons, the alchemist class should be the only one to use Couldrons.

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
Just to be clear, while I do agree with chemists being the only ones to have access to cauldrons, this is not what this thread is about. There should be a "limited time only" chest shop available to compensate for the non-existence of clay on the map, since it IS a normally available resource. Please read the OP, as I want to get everyone's take on it.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
It is a usually available resource, but I think we should be left without it until alchemist can make it. That will get the economy started off for cauldrons as people want clay and the other things made from there, and get the overall money on the server flowing for a bit I hope.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
How about we wait until the update comes then release FFA? mmkayy? newly rendered map for all your clay-related needs. just make it 1000x1000 instead of 750x750 to make up for the lack of clay on the main map

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
This is kinda Offtopic, but how big is the new map? 2500x2500 like the old one?

Actually 5000x5000 (2500 radius square), like the old one. Kainzo commented in game that if we regularly reach 150 players he might go to 5000 radius, and 200 players to a 7500 radius.

Mikeman97

Wood
Actually 5000x5000 (2500 radius square), like the old one. Kainzo commented in game that if we regularly reach 150 players he might go to 5000 radius, and 200 players to a 7500 radius.
Damn! I heard we have atleast 80+ people on now-a-days with the release of Heroes and all that new stuff. :D Herocraft is starting to become very, very large!

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
Skill -> Change 10 cobble into 1 Stone Pick Axe - 3 Minute CD.
That's what I'm talking about, getting rid of cobble and making pick axes.

Mikeman97

Wood
Skill -> Change 10 cobble into 1 Stone Pick Axe - 3 Minute CD.
That's what I'm talking about, getting rid of cobble and making pick axes.

Erm, or you could use 2 sticks and THREE cobblestone inorder to make a pickaxe. I think it should be something like this.

Skill -> Change 30 cobble into 5 Coal - 3 Minute CD.

The skill should be able to "tier up" materials. By that i mean:

Cobble - Coal
Coal - Iron
Iron - Gold
Iron - Diamonds
Gold - Diamonds

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
I still think Alchemists should be the only ones to make clay, I dont plan on being one but it would make it fun for those that do...

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
Yo quiero los bloques de clay
Yo dudo que tu obtenas los bloques de la arcilla por que tu no los uses bien.

Also, @ Mikeman, you don't see the true glory of the transforming Cobble to Pickaxes. Instead of bringing along a stack of wood on my extended length mining trips, I can instead convert some cobble to pickaxes and thus save my wood and reduce the overall cost of my mining while also extending the amount of time I can mine without having to bring wood along. A straightforward mutation of one-upping materials would ruin the economy as people turned their copious amounts of cobble into gold, even at a marginal profit it would still be that, profit. If profit was not made it would make the skill completely useless, see the conundrum with a direct path system? It creates surpluses of materials that are usually "rarer" because items that are everywhere can be made from them with little effort.

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
So much for staying on topic. Thanks for the derail guys. >_<

Thread lock requested.

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
my 2c on the original post: sure, a server run shop selling clay, why not? It gets some into circulation for those that want to build with it (I personally think its ugly, at least with the default texture). As mentioned in one of the replies above: FFA will most likely have clay so the chest shops can be removed when FFA comes out.

-----------

my 2c on the other replies: cauldrons really do 'sound' like an alchemist thing, using a cauldron to 'transmute stuff into other stuff' doesnt sound like something a smith/mason/engineer would do (smeltimg ores maybe but not creating: grass blocks/roses/pumpkins/ice/etc)
BUT - ignore the semantics. It's really a class balance/appeal decision. I say: if the alchemist has enough other skills/abilities to make it appealing then give cauldrons to all crafters (or to another spec that is lacking in appeal)