• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Server repair.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So. We've been freezing - randomly, without any reason. I've been researching and attempting to find fixes. Ultimately, I believe we've gotten some bad hardware. It's either the motherboard or the ram and all signs are pointing towards the motherboard.

If you are interested in seeing the amount of time I've put into this, feel free to read this thread on hardforums.

Here's what I plan to do to resolve this - it wont be cheap, but will be necessary.
  1. Rent a dedicated server at some respectable host ($200-400 a month)
  2. Order parts (Mobo/Ram) To repair box (might as well order a few SSDs!)
  3. Get our collocated box back from Houston, TX
  4. Repair machine, replace ram/mobo/add SSDs
  5. Test machine as the official test server for several weeks - see if crashes occur.
  6. Send machine to new collocation host with built in DDOS protection (Las Vegas)
  7. Remove dedicated machine from hosting and use Las Vegas collocated box.
Alternatively, I can hire Seyton to go work on the box in Houston once we received the parts and we will only see minimal downtime - but it may not fix the issue.
Just wanted to keep you guys up to date on what's going on - we are not being lazy, it is something that is hard to troubleshoot remotely and I am planning ahead.
Guides | Admins | Heralds | Moderators

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter
Thank you for letting us know Kainzo! I am sorry its going to be expensive... Donations help if anyone wants to donate! =) I am excited for you to fix the problems though because this is the BEST minecraft experience I have had. And hubby will be more active once the lag is gone. <3 <3

~Ravynn~

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Thank you for letting us know Kainzo! I am sorry its going to be expensive... Donations help if anyone wants to donate! =) I am excited for you to fix the problems though because this is the BEST minecraft experience I have had. And hubby will be more active once the lag is gone. <3 <3

~Ravynn~
The lag should be mostly all fixed once we start finding all the item-frames with maps in them :)
You should definitely notice a difference.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Thanks for Keeping us in the loop Kainzo. Sorry I haven't been around much. Crazy busy at work. been working in to the wee hours on a regular basis with no signs of letting up. I will try to raise my support tier if my tax refunds are favorable, and I'm sure there are plenty of others willing to do the same. Hang in there and thank you for all that you do.

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8
Sounds awesome and are you sure ALL of this lag is due to itemframes, I mean I looked at the picture your posted of the breakdown on what was causing the lag and yes itemframes were causing a considerable amount and yes we will notice a difference but will it really be day and night/super drastic/is it causing all out lag...?

bluejack404

Jack of Lapis
Legacy Supporter 8
This is gonna be a good change. I hope that the money from donations and microtransactions cover this. I'd hate to hear that this is mostly coming out of your pocket. You're amazing, Kainzo.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Sounds awesome and are you sure ALL of this lag is due to itemframes, I mean I looked at the picture your posted of the breakdown on what was causing the lag and yes itemframes were causing a considerable amount and yes we will notice a difference but will it really be day and night/super drastic/is it causing all out lag...?
huh? lolol

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I just feel like your acting like removing itemframes will solve all lag problems...
VisualVM does not lie. It is the best method to "deep dive" to see where bottlenecks are. If even in the light of factual evidence you cannot believe it, there's nothing I can say to convince you.

Will having 10,000+ mobs lag us? sure. Are frames with maps causing the bulk of all the lag? Yes.

Are there other varying factors that come into play? Yep
Network, I/O, Cpu.

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8
VisualVM does not lie. It is the best method to "deep dive" to see where bottlenecks are. If even in the light of factual evidence you cannot believe it, there's nothing I can say to convince you.

Will having 10,000+ mobs lag us? sure. Are frames with maps causing the bulk of all the lag? Yes.

Are there other varying factors that come into play? Yep
Network, I/O, Cpu.
Yeah basically I was refering to the 10,000+ mobs and such because VisualVM showed that that was giving the bulk of the lag(pretty sure)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Yeah basically I was refering to the 10,000+ mobs and such because VisualVM showed that that was giving the bulk of the lag(pretty sure)
No. All reports when we are lagging has been item-frames with maps for the last few days.
Either way, this is off topic - Server Repairs and lag are not relating activities. We're repairing the server from HARD FREEZES - that prevent the machine from booting, etc.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
OOh, fancy. When I get on again ill be nice and buy something from the store.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
So. We've been freezing - randomly, without any reason. I've been researching and attempting to find fixes. Ultimately, I believe we've gotten some bad hardware. It's either the motherboard or the ram and all signs are pointing towards the motherboard.

If you are interested in seeing the amount of time I've put into this, feel free to read this thread on hardforums.

Here's what I plan to do to resolve this - it wont be cheap, but will be necessary.
  1. Rent a dedicated server at some respectable host ($200-400 a month)
  2. Order parts (Mobo/Ram) To repair box (might as well order a few SSDs!)
  3. Get our collocated box back from Houston, TX
  4. Repair machine, replace ram/mobo/add SSDs
  5. Test machine as the official test server for several weeks - see if crashes occur.
  6. Send machine to new collocation host with built in DDOS protection (Las Vegas)
  7. Remove dedicated machine from hosting and use Las Vegas collocated box.
Alternatively, I can hire Seyton to go work on the box in Houston once we received the parts and we will only see minimal downtime - but it may not fix the issue.

Just wanted to keep you guys up to date on what's going on - we are not being lazy, it is something that is hard to troubleshoot remotely and I am planning ahead.
Guides | Admins | Heralds | Moderators
youre-awesome.gif