• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Please tell me this is griefing...

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I think I've made my views on griefing pretty public with my extended post on why it should be legal to grief non-regioned areas. As it stands, there are very few people who support my view, and I'll have to stand by the server's rules.

With that being said, boy was I surprised when I came back to my personal region I had just built hours prior to see some 'griefing' being done in. As you can see with the picture I provided, I have built a farmer's market that will soon sell all the goods which animals provide. I have 5 animals enclosed in glass boxes to advertise what I'm selling (a chicken will sell cooked/uncooked meat, eggs, and feathers for example).

I thought it was a clever way of advertising my goods, some jackoff clearly was jealous. While I built this with the knowledge that passive mob butchers occur regularly to deal with lag, I was not aware that members with AOE skills can kill my animals since they're in a protected region.

Without the animals enclosed in the glass boxes my building looks pretty stupid. I was prepared to replenish the spawns every time a butcher occured, but it's utterly useless to make a 2,500 block run to spawn every few hours to undo the 'griefing' that others did.

I took the picture from single player, but the one I built on the server is a similar replica.

Kainzo, what's the ruling on this?
femfx5.jpg

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Cool sheep-face facades and the glass animal enclosure is clever. Great advertising. Sucks that some players kill your beasts.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I believe the reason farmers can spawn animals is because of times like this.

I built my plot very close to spawn. The town I'm in is at one of the corners of the map. Again, I'll be getting lots of traffic coming to my place through spawn, and likewise the same scumbags who spawn kill will surely make their daily run to my place to kill my animals. May I remind you that they get no benefit (aside from a total of 5XP) from killing my animals. They won't even be able to pick up the drops. Due to the fact they get no benefit whatsoever other than to cause me grief (pun intended, and applicable) it should be constituted as griefing.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I built my plot very close to spawn. The town I'm in is at one of the corners of the map. Again, I'll be getting lots of traffic coming to my place through spawn, and likewise the same scumbags who spawn kill will surely make their daily run to my place to kill my animals. May I remind you that they get no benefit (aside from a total of 5XP) from killing my animals. They won't even be able to pick up the drops. Due to the fact they get no benefit whatsoever other than to cause me grief (pun intended, and applicable) it should be constituted as griefing.

Well in previous maps admins would type a command that instantly kills all mobs, to troubleshoot lag. If this was griefing, they could no longer use that tool.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Some clever design could mitigate this. Put your animals up high, through a few more layers of glass so players cant get so close, and try again.

Im not convinced this is greifing unless its the same person and they are going far out of their way to bother you.

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
Every time anyone has brought this up, staff always says that killing mobs/animals/players is not and can not be griefing. However, since they are part of your structure, I'm not sure. If nothing else, it's very hard/impossible to enforce a rule against killing other players' animals.

My suggestion to you would be to encase them in 2+ blocks of glass. Also, did you know that mobs can survive when completely encased in glass, with no open space at all? You could use pistons to achieve this. Then, I doubt anyone would be able to AOE them.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
My suggestion to you would be to encase them in 2+ blocks of glass. Also, did you know that mobs can survive when completely encased in glass, with no open space at all? You could use pistons to achieve this. Then, I doubt anyone would be able to AOE them.

How would this work though? If someone has an AOE attack of a 5 block radius, as long as the animal is within that radius it shouldn't matter how many blocks stand between it and the attacker, right?

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
In fact, we JUST had a restart to kill off all the mobs, farm animals included
I know. Luckily Kainzo warned everyone so i was able to kill all my cows. As I said, passive mob kills seem to be a weekly thing. I can handle that. Having to spawn animals every hour at my plot only to have a jerkoff kill them to make me angry, i can't handle.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Why does AOE even go through walls now? Why/when did this change?
It has and always will go through walls. We don't do line of sight checks for AE's. It would be very cpu intense to do so. Since you would have to calculate every entity in the AE to see if they could have a line of sight. Single targets are easy.

@Sleaker you can confirm/deny this if you want.