• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Item-Frames (w/ Maps) causing Bulk of Lag.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
===NOTE: REPORT ITEM-FRAMES THAT HAVE MAPS IN THEM WITH /PE, 50c reward!===
So, after several days (or weeks) of using timings to attempt to figure out what was lagging our server, I finally bit the bullet and got VisualVM working again. This was no easy feat as our main-box is locked down - (completely shut down by ICMP / UDP requets, for security)

So after running VisualVM - we figured out that it was due to the Item-Frames that had MAPS on them.

Aerokii had 6 frames close together, I checked TPS (it was at 7TPS) when he broke them we shot up to 20 tps after a few seconds. It was night and day. Until we can 1) Fix this or 2) Restrict properly, All item frames will be blocked from placement - except for admins.

h6iEiBX.png

Northac

Obsidian
frames as the ones that go on walls? huh, wouldnt expect something like that to do much. Do what you need to man, keep it running smoothly and i dont think anyone will really care about nout being able to use a frame.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Until we can 1) Fix this or 2) Restrict properly, All item frames will be blocked from placement - except for admins.

To clarify, does this restriction on new placements apply just to item frames with maps in them, or all item frames?

Is there any problem with keeping existing item frames that DON'T have maps in them?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
To clarify, does this restriction on new placements apply just to item frames with maps in them, or all item frames?

Is there any problem with keeping existing item frames that DON'T have maps in them?
All item frames (NO way to block just placing maps) item frames that have something other than a map should be fine at this point in time.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Is there really no way that admins can track down these item frames themselves? For all we know they could have been made and abandoned by players that quit months ago, and the chance of us getting them all is slim.

If the frames truly are causing the bulk of the lag, then I don't see anything truly solving it unless there is a server side removal of all frames in existence. (I don't even think that's possible :/ )

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Is there really no way that admins can track down these item frames themselves? For all we know they could have been made and abandoned by players that quit months ago, and the chance of us getting them all is slim.

If the frames truly are causing the bulk of the lag, then I don't see anything truly solving it unless there is a server side removal of all frames in existence. (I don't even think that's possible :/ )
Its not possible - there's no way to track down X block in Y location. This is a scavenger hunt. 50c to find frames with maps in them :)

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
IIf the frames truly are causing the bulk of the lag, then I don't see anything truly solving it unless there is a server side removal of all frames in existence. (I don't even think that's possible :/ )
This IS possible, though it would require one to go from the bottom of the -- map to the top of the ++ map and do
//replace 389 0
However, the scavenger hunt is more exciting. I guess.

miikeyk

Wood
This IS possible, though it would require one to go from the bottom of the -- map to the top of the ++ map and do
//replace 389 0
However, the scavenger hunt is more exciting. I guess.

The best command to remove all would be

//replacenear (radius) 389 0

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8
Yeah I really just suggest doing that after this scavanger hunt is over. May cause a bit of lag right after doing the command though. Seriously though I don't think a scavenger hunt will be the best idea to remove ALL of them. Glad to see this was found out though