• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Old laptop - what to do, what to do

What should I do with it?

• Something useful that someone tells me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let it gather dust on my floor.

• Take it to the farm and shoot it with a 9mm.

• Total voters

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Any ideas? It's an old Toshiba Stellite 2505CDS. It has windows 98, 32MB of RAM, and I can't figure out how to get into the bios to see the processor speed but im sure its under .5 GHz. Doesn't work with new routers, it searches for infared human communication devices lol. Mouse software can't be installed and flash drives don't respond as well. Mouse lags around the screen and it is mainly just blue and orange.

Is there anything at all this can do?

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
Let my pal Scrat give you a better suggestion than a 9mm...

[img=512x287]http://typicaluser.com/scratguns.jpg[/img]

J

jorict

Niceeee. I think a .50cal would be more fun though haha. What caliber is that draskuul?

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
jorict said:
Niceeee. I think a .50cal would be more fun though haha. What caliber is that draskuul?

It's 7.62x54R (Rimmed Russian), the oldest cartridge still in active military use in the world, 120 years and counting. The rifle is a Mosin Nagant M91/30, probably the most prolific rifle in the world next to the AK-47. If you've ever seen the movie Enemy at the Gates, this is what all the Russians were using, including the snipers.

The one in the picture is actually my brother's and I took the picture in response to some forum thread elsewhere--don't even remember what it was about now. I replaced my wood stock with a synthetic one that is a far better fit for me.

Amgroma

Legacy Supporter 9
Draskuul said:
jorict said:

It's 7.62x54R (Rimmed Russian), the oldest cartridge still in active military use in the world, 120 years and counting. The rifle is a Mosin Nagant M91/30, probably the most prolific rifle in the world next to the AK-47. If you've ever seen the movie Enemy at the Gates, this is what all the Russians were using, including the snipers.

The one in the picture is actually my brother's and I took the picture in response to some forum thread elsewhere--don't even remember what it was about now. I replaced my wood stock with a synthetic one that is a far better fit for me.

Be honest, why did you buy the Nagant? Is it because it was so cheap? Haha. Crazy Russians made so many damn Nagant's. I think that was the largest mass-produced gun in history.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Useful? This is a hard thing you ask of us.

My vote is to turn it into a Rom Box. Format windows right off that fucker and just install DOS. Be careful to get your sound card settings first, you will probably have to manually configure that stuff. You can run zsnes from DOS with 32mb of ram, its a fact! Nesticle works in DOS for NES games, and I've heard of something called "Gential" that runs Genesis games in DOS.

All you need is a dos-compatible controller, I'm assuming your laptop has a game port (15-pin connector) if it's that old. Take a look at used video game places and second-hand stores that keep lots of ridiculous old shit around.

If this project fails, plan B is to build a working trebuchet/ catapult and see how aerodynamic your laptop is.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
A box for old games was the best thing I've seen around other forums, I guess I will see how that works out. If it ends up not working, I will guess I'll build the catapault then shoot it. Can already picture the design =D Basket, rope, bamboo, board with cinder blocks on it.

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
Amgroma said:
Be honest, why did you buy the Nagant? Is it because it was so cheap? Haha. Crazy Russians made so many damn Nagant's. I think that was the largest mass-produced gun in history.

Originally, cheap gun and cheap ammo. That old 1949 military surplus ammo is so hot you tend to turn a lot of heads at the range as well. Nobody else around you can really keep shooting while you are. They are also (usually) fairly accurate rifles, and with a little work make pretty good tack drivers.

Unfortunately due to the US Forestry Service rules on steel jacketed / bi-metal jacket / steel core ammo (in regards to being a fire hazard) the costs just went up a fair bit. I'll probably need to invest in handloading soon.

samsoccerboyz

Legacy Supporter 5
Draskuul said:
Amgroma said:

Originally, cheap gun and cheap ammo. That old 1949 military surplus ammo is so hot you tend to turn a lot of heads at the range as well. Nobody else around you can really keep shooting while you are. They are also (usually) fairly accurate rifles, and with a little work make pretty good tack drivers.

Unfortunately due to the US Forestry Service rules on steel jacketed / bi-metal jacket / steel core ammo (in regards to being a fire hazard) the costs just went up a fair bit. I'll probably need to invest in handloading soon.

I vote for Nagat