• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Samurai - lets rename some skills!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
My strength is not the lore of the Samurai, so I'm wanting to ask you guys what we should rename the skills for Samurai to to hold lore value.

• Bleed -> ???? (Damage over time, physical)
  • One -> Windwalk (Movement increase)
  • Berzerk -> Bushido? (Increase damage taken for larger damage output)
  • EscapeArtist -> HiddenLeaf/Hagakure (Remove movement impairing effects)
  • Bloodlust -> Seppuku (Large damage done to self to benefit party or self in some way, dmg increase?)

Morningstar42

Glowing Redstone
What does bloodlust do? And escapeartist?

I'd like to help research some good names, and it would help to actually know what the skills do :)

Morningstar42

Glowing Redstone
Kakaru toki
sakoso inochi no
oshikarame
kanete nakimi to
omoishirazuba

Had I not known
that I was dead
already
I would have mourned
the loss of my life.

-Ōta Dōkan (Jisei/death poem)

Morningstar42

Glowing Redstone
I think for Berserk, while Bushido is not bad, perhaps call it Yuki instead. Yuki is one of the seven virtues of the Samurai bushido code, meaning courage. In this context, I think it would more specifically exemplify the aspect of Bushido that the skill reflects, with greater courage can come greater attack damage, but it also can lessen one's defenses.

Morningstar42

Glowing Redstone
I have some other suggestions, based on a ridiculously insufficient understanding of Samurai and Japanese values... but I'll put them here for fun anyway.

Bleed - This could be called Disgrace. Based on the concept that a Samurai's "power", in a sense, comes from their Honor, disgrace is something that would have a lasting negative impact on someone, and so in a way it matches the damage over time affect.

Berserk - Courage (Yuki). This is one of the seven virtues of Bushido. Being courageous somewhat matches the idea of increased damage output with reduced defense.

EscapeArtist - Impermanence/Sakura. This is something of a buddhist/zen concept that everything changes with time. Sakura means cherry blossom, and is a popular symbol for this phenomenon, as cherry blossoms are fleeting. It is something of a zen custom to witness the falling of cherry blossoms and reflect on the impermanence of things. As a skill, I think the idea of impermanence matches with the ability to remove a status effect. For extra credit, look up Mono No Aware.

Hagakure isn't bad, however I believe the name eludes more to an awareness of things unseen, rather than becoming unseen as a Samurai.

Bloodlust - Rather than Seppuku, which is baddass but also involves almost definitely dying a long, painful death, I would suggest Loyalty (Chugi). This refers more to dedicating yourself to a higher cause (in this case your party members) by sacrificing yourself a little in order to benefit/honor those whom you serve. Chugi is also one of the seven virtues of the Samurai.

For One/Windwalk, I don't have any other suggestions.... this is already pretty good, but I'll keep an eye out for anything else that might be good too.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
My strength is not the lore of the Samurai, so I'm wanting to ask you guys what we should rename the skills for Samurai to to hold lore value.

• Bloodlust -> Seppuku (Large damage done to self to benefit party or self in some way, dmg increase?)
Well as it stands Kain, I want you to know that I'm not mocking your ideas. As a melee class your names make some sense, but from an honorable standpoint they just make the Samurai look weird. With that being said Morningstar42 beat me to the skill naming party haha. All of these ideas would fit!

My concern to Seppuku is the idea of it being deathly (Like death for sure), while the name could fit nicely its just iffy for me. Sakura is a perfect idea for escape artist. And I think I like Bushido a little better than Yuki because Yuki can also mean snow. Now for Bleed, I'm unsure. As a skill (RPG-wise) bleed works for me because a Samurai still kills people, but if you wanted a change in name, Disgrace could maybe fit.

Windwalk=Amazing Nuff said.

Bloodlust-Gisei? (Means Sacrifice) And a sacrifice could resemble their actions being a sacrifice for honor in death? Just a small idea.

Morningstar42

Glowing Redstone
I had "Yuki" in parenthesis as a reference to the related word in Japanese, but I think the actual skill name should be Courage or something else (possibly in Japanese) that might fit the culture of the server better. Sakura is a more well-known word and I think fits nicely, but yea I don't know that "Yuki" would actually be good for the skill name.

edit:... same sentiments for "Chugi"... thinking it should be called Loyalty or something else, possibly related to the idea of loyalty or self-sacrifice

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well as it stands Kain, I want you to know that I'm not mocking your ideas. As a melee class your names make some sense, but from an honorable standpoint they just make the Samurai look weird. With that being said Morningstar42 beat me to the skill naming party haha. All of these ideas would fit!

My concern to Seppuku is the idea of it being deathly (Like death for sure), while the name could fit nicely its just iffy for me. Sakura is a perfect idea for escape artist. And I think I like Bushido a little better than Yuki because Yuki can also mean snow. Now for Bleed, I'm unsure. As a skill (RPG-wise) bleed works for me because a Samurai still kills people, but if you wanted a change in name, Disgrace could maybe fit.

Windwalk=Amazing Nuff said.

Bloodlust-Gisei? (Means Sacrifice) And a sacrifice could resemble their actions being a sacrifice for honor in death? Just a small idea.
I've asked for suggestions, hence why this post was made ;) mkay.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6

Most of those names are cool (Except what Victim said about Seppuku, it's basically sacrificing yourself for the honour of your Dayimo and family)

I'd like One to be something like Second Wind, but Windwalk is fine aswell.

Bushido was suggested by my In Game and I approve it for Berserk.

Bleed -> Sonkai? (Means damage) or I support Shukketsu.

PCmonkey11

Legacy Supporter 3
I agree with Wonder I don't think escape artist is necessary because we have One, I think it will be a useless skill.
I love the Berserk change I think its really awesome :D
I may need more details on Bloodlust. (how much health lost and how much damage increased.)

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with Wonder I don't think escape artist is necessary because we have One, I think it will be a useless skill.
I love the Berserk change I think its really awesome :D
I may need more details on Bloodlust. (how much health lost and how much damage increased.)
Yeah, but CC can really put us at a disadvantage that BG and One can't help us with. Plus it will take stam and probably not be worth using on every cc to comes our way, just the important times. However, this is not the place to discuss this.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Bleed -> Disgrace
Berserk -> Fearless
EscapeArtist -> Impermanence
Bloodlust ->Seppuku
One -> Windwalk

I'm still not a fan of "yuki" - doesn't seem very descriptive...

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
TBH, anything that makes Samurai sound more honor based has a thumbs up from me.